I just now have dual core... :) I am hopeing for a huge increase in speed mostly because of the amount of memory involved and ya I can use sdl.. ... The installer doesn't like it :( that is probily not my biggest problem but it is worth noting.. I haven't checked to see if just copying the files over from my old computer will do the trick or not.. I seem to be missing the drivers that are used for dex tracker when I moved it to vista, seems that alot of the python installers are useless but most everything can be built from the code...
I'm try to find somethings better in my research ... Work in progress, but:
it's really a progress ? I'm always in doubt about it. Nevermind, i'll return to my work.
Actually this is a sample of the work. It would be granular synthesis but recall me my kitchen sounds.
Don't worry, it last just 1'20'' c.ca
This is my little work. It's made in part with python and then with some manual work. The bells are from JC Risset.
Here is my entry to Tobiah's Sort Composition Challenge. I saw this as a chance to try something I haven't, utilizing Python as a Score Generation Tool. As a disclaimer, I do not have a programming background. Csound is actually the first language I ever used. So, this was a chance to wrap my head around a few beginning programming techniques that I have been studying.
The result is a Grain Cloud type of composition with a few different sections. In Python, I wrote 'while loops' to create score lines for each of the different sections.
It was recently brought to my attention by Judy Klein that the commandline version of CMask sometimes crashes depending on the commandline arguments that are provided. I tracked down the problem to a very small buffer size for the input and output filenames/pathnames. So if you are experiencing a "Segmentation fault" with CMask, it may be because you are specifying paths on the commandline that are longer than 32 characters.
Getting CSound to work with Java is a tedious task since there is no clear documentation on the process in the wild. A quick search on Google and CSound blogs will summon numerous papers and articles that reference a Java interface for CSound but do not elaborate on the process of setting it up. Through hours of tedious searching and cross-referencing, I have finally figured out how to compile and manipulate CSound through Java. It's actually pretty simple, once you know what is required:
This is a final 1.0 version i.e. final as in it works, it also shows some of the benifits and drawbacks of using the pycap game framework with python installed. It is realy nice to have a portable version of python that is small, doesn't need to be compiled, and works on machines where sdl will not work and doesn't depend on the version instaled prev on your machine. The drawbacks are you have to do all your graphics such as buttons exc, from scratch (until I realese a couple of togles, buttons exc, you don't have any available)..
It's been a while since I last posted. I learned a new programming language (Haskell). Today I completed my first Haskell project, an arpeggiator for Csound score files. It does more than just arpeggios -- it calculates any number of arbitrary parameters and outputs them to the score.
pycap is a self contained game engine with python 2.5 embeded in it.. (it is the popcap library with python basicly) This is beta and very very close to release version I just have a glich with the save function and I need to load a file that identifies what the rows are.. When you hit the save button the rows are saved to a text file and then you can pretty much do whatever you want to. I was hoping someone else had already written something like that and was suprised when I didn't find anything I could snag, why write a new program every time I just couldn't understand it.
As you may have inferred from my path so far, I'm learning each opcode one by one. I read the documentation, set up a test system, and then try different variations to see if I can generate a sound that I like. Today I'm working with
I'm almost back to Csounding.
I got distracted this week. For various reasons, mostly related to hardware, I've been having a lot of audio problems. I finally got sick of it and decided to start over, with a clean slate, in a new Linux distro, using the sensible and varied packages at Planet CCRMA.
convolve, which, according to the documentation, entered the opcode world in 1996.
To create a richly textured, bell- or chime-like sound using additive synthesis.
The opcode I chose for this experiment was
... being an account of my adventures in getting Csound 5 up and running on my Ubuntu Linux system.
I've never really moved from Csound 4 to Csound 5 to this point, because for one thing 5 doesn't run on BeOS, which is my main system. (There's no real reason it can't run there, except for getting scons all set up, and probably some updating of the real-time connectivity. I started on scons at one time, but never got all the way there.) Anyway, now that I have Ubuntu Linux on my other box, I thought that I should at least be up-to-date there.